Letís Get Creative!
The 2022 Commonwealth Games runs from 28 July to 8 August
by Janice Ross (revised, originally published in 2014)
Suitable for Whole School (Sec)
To encourage us to appreciate that we all have creative ability.
Preparation and materials
- Have available an image of the creative team that will deliver the opening and closing ceremonies for the 2022 Commonwealth Games and the means to display it during the assembly. An image is available at: https://tinyurl.com/mvr7hw6a
- You may wish to ask a student to read the Bible passage 1 Corinthians 12.12–26 during the ‘Time for reflection’ part of the assembly. It is available at: https://tinyurl.com/3dd5dc25
- Further information about the 2022 Commonwealth Games is available at: https://www.birmingham2022.com/
- Christians believe that God is a creative God who made people with many gifts and talents.
Ask the students, ‘How many creative talents can you think of?’
You may wish to allow discussion in groups.
Art, music, dance and sport will probably be among the first on the list, but there are many more, such as hospitality, organizational skills, public speaking, technological skills and so on.
- Tell the students that the twenty-second Commonwealth Games is taking place in Birmingham from 28 July to 8 August 2022.
- Identify sport as a creative talent that will be widely appreciated. Point out that preparations for the Games have been going on for several years and that many creative talents are needed for such an event, including organization, hospitality, route-planning, building work, technology, advertising, music, dance and so on.
- Note that no single talent is more important than any of the others in the delivery of a successful and memorable Games.
- Show the image of the creative team that will deliver the opening and closing ceremonies for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
Explain that these people are in charge of delivering the opening and closing ceremonies for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. The ceremonies provide an opportunity to showcase the best creativity and innovation in the West Midlands.
These four people are part of a group that is leading the showcase, but each member of the group will have a team full of many people.
- There will be writers, dancers, choreographers, costume designers, technicians, advertisers and many more.
Point out to the students that if one of the costume designers were to say, ‘I want to do the advertising,’ or if one of the technicians were to say, ‘I want to design the costumes,’ the Games would not run well.
However, note that we all have a tendency to think like this. We look at other people’s talents and personalities and wish that we were more like them. Wouldn’t it be great if we were happy with our own gifts? Everyone is made to be creative. Everyone has talent.
Time for reflection
The Bible talks about people being like parts of a body, where each part is equally important.
Read, or invite a student to read, 1 Corinthians 12.12–26.
The Commonwealth Games would never happen if the thousands of talented people involved took the attitude that they were more or less important than the others! Everyone needs to work together for the event to succeed.
So, what are our creative talents? Let’s be grateful for them, celebrate them and realize that they are unique to each one of us.
Thank you for big events such as the Commonwealth Games.
Thank you that they give people the opportunity to use their gifts and talents.
Thank you for creative talent and teamwork.
We ask for the Games to be a success, both for those taking part and for all the excited spectators.
Please help us to realize the importance of teamwork.
‘We’re all in this together’ from the film High School Musical, available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlRvE9dKWQc (4.07 minutes long)