Faith Through A Lens
by Alan M. Barker
Suitable for Key Stage 3/4
To reflect on the character and significance of faith.
Preparation and materials
- This assembly is based on ten prize-winning images that were entered into a photographic competition entitled ‘Faith Through a Lens’, which can be found at: www.faiththroughalens.co.uk/pages/awards-and-highlights and: www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-30081784 Select an appropriate number of the images and have the means to display them during the assembly. Read the brief background information given about each photograph on the website so that you can mention details as relevant during the assembly. Note that, due to copyright, the images should only be displayed by visiting one of these websites.
- Have available a short piece of reflective music of your choosing and the means to play it during the ‘Time for reflection’ part of the assembly (optional).
- Show a couple of the images you selected. Introduce the assembly by inviting everyone to view these prize-winning images from the photographic competition ‘Faith Through a Lens’.
Explain that the organizers – Congregational Insurance – challenged photographers to portray the positive role that faith plays in many people’s lives. An awards ceremony was held during Inter Faith Week in November 2014.
- Show some more of the images you selected. Prompt discussion by asking of each in turn, ‘What do you see in this photograph? Why do you think it appealed to the judges? How does it speak of faith? What values, attitudes and relationships are portrayed?’
Welcome varied responses and acknowledge that everyone will view the images in different ways. Mention some of the background details you read in preparation if relevant.
- Compare and contrast the photographs. Reflect on their diversity and all that they have in common. Note that not all have an obviously religious context (as is the case with The Innocence of Giving). Observe that faith leads to both shared identity and individual action.
- Conclude by saying that another ‘Faith Through a Lens’ competition will be held in 2015. Invite everyone to consider how they would aim to portray the positive role of faith. What image might they try to capture?
Time for reflection
Play your chosen piece of music, if using, and display one of the images from the competition. Invite everyone to draw something positive from it.
We give you thanks for sharing insights and understanding
for expressions of faith and humanity
for all that challenges and enriches us.