The Community Bank
by Gordon Lamont
Suitable for Whole School (Sec)
To demonstrate the purpose and effectiveness of a community credit union.
Preparation and materials
- Have available the YouTube video Community Bank and the means to show it during the assembly (available at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=LduI4IZsKuY). It is five minutes long.
- Locate your nearest credit union by visiting: www.findyourcreditunion.co.uk/home
- Have available the song ‘You’ve got a friend’ by James Taylor and the means to play it at the end of the assembly.
- Begin the assembly by asking the students if they know the names of any ‘payday loan’ companies.
- Now ask if any of them know of a credit union locally. Mention the one(s) you found on the website given in the ‘Preparation and materials’ section above and give the web address if you wish.
- Play the Community Bank video.
Time for reflection
Ask the students to take a few moments to think about the contents of the video.
How do they think the person who borrowed £500 and then discovered that he or she owed over £800 felt?
Did they know before the assembly what credit unions do?
‘You’ve got a friend’ by James Taylor