Pause for Thought: Standing up for Good
We need courage to stand up for our beliefs
by Janice Ross (video recording by Vita)
Suitable for Whole School (Pri)
To use the Bible story of Daniel to consider the courage that it can take to stand up for our beliefs.
Preparation and materials
- You will need to have the means available to play the following videos:
- ‘Can you find the odd one out in these pictures?’, available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLDQdOcW3wc (10.55 minutes long)
- ‘Damp, dark and deep’, available below (1.27 minutes long)
- ‘Daniel and the lion’s den – animated Bible songs for children’, available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKnPNP24CeA (2.53 minutes long)
Show the children the following video. (It is 10.55 minutes long, so you may prefer to show only part of it.)
Encourage the children to spot the odd one out before the time is up.
Ask the children if they have ever felt like the odd one out, as if there was nobody else like them. Examples of possible scenarios might include:
- their parents not allowing them to have the latest computer game that all their friends are talking about
- they want to work hard at school, but their friends prefer messing about
- they prefer reading to football
- they believe in God and go to church with their family, but their friends don’t
Ask the children if they can come up with some suggestions of their own.
Explain that the story in the next video is about a man called Daniel. He stood up for what he believed to be right and ended up in a difficult situation.
Optional: you may wish to show the following video, too, to reinforce the story.
Time for reflection
In the story that we heard, many other people would probably have believed the same as Daniel, but didn’t have the courage to speak out. In some situations where we are the odd one out, there may be others looking on who agree with us, but need a leader. Daniel was certainly that. As a result of his courage, the whole nation changed. Daniel was not alone; he knew God, who had promised never to forsake him. Daniel knew that it was right to continue to trust in God in every situation that he faced.
You may wish to use the following prayer.
Thank you that you protected Daniel.
When we are faced with difficult decisions,
Please help us to have the courage to choose what is right.
‘This is me’ from the film The Greatest Showman , available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjxugyZCfuw (3.49 minutes long)
- What things do you believe to be right? Perhaps you want to fix something local - a problem that you’ve identified in your community - or something global, like climate change. Whatever it is, think about how you can stand up for your beliefs and make a difference. You could write down a list of ideas - are there any that you could start today?
- Did you enjoy listening to the story of Daniel? If so, you could try making your very own lion by using the suggestions at: https://artsycraftsymom.com/lion-crafts-for-kids/