Pause for Thought: Keep on Singing!
Singing is important
by Guy Donegan-Cross (adapted)
Suitable for Whole School (Pri)
To help us to appreciate the importance of singing.
Preparation and materials
- You will need to have the means available to play the videos below.
Ask the children some questions about singing, such as the following.
- Why do people sing?
- Do you have a favourite song?
- Have you ever listened to music through headphones and sung along without realizing?
- Do you sing in the bath or shower?
- Why do people sing in church and/or assembly?
Singing is known to lift people’s moods and make them feel better. During this time of lockdown, many people have used the time to produce recordings of people singing together. The following videos feature a song called ‘The Blessing’. The first video (5.30 minutes long) includes children from the UK, the USA, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and others. The second video (8.30 minutes long) shows children from France singing the same song in French.
Let’s have a listen.
Time for reflection
Christians believe that God loves it when they sing. Some of us have missed singing together in schools, churches or other religious establishments. Some of us have missed singing along at concerts and theatres. Many of us can’t wait until we are back singing together!
You may wish to use the following prayer.
Thank you that you give us voices to sing.
Thank you for the power of music.
Please help us to keep on singing even when times are tough.
Please help our hearts to be full of joy.
‘When you believe’, covered by One Voice Children’s Choir, available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jAtB_UBWh0 (5.15 minutes long)
- There are some fun ideas for musical activities available at: https://tinyurl.com/val9has
- Why not try asking your grown-up or sibling to help you record yourself singing a song? Then, you could send it to a friend or family member to cheer them up!