Pause for Thought: How Do You Feel?
Our feelings often depend on our circumstances
by Rebecca Parkinson (video recording by Verity Thornhill)
Suitable for Whole School (Pri)
To encourage us to see that our feelings can be affected by changes around us.
Preparation and materials
- You will need to have the means available to play the video below. It is 4.05 minutes long.
- Optional: for the ‘Extension activities’ section, you will need some paper, paint, pens and building bricks.
Time for reflection
How do you feel right now?
- Maybe you feel happy.
- Maybe you feel sad or angry.
- Maybe you feel lonely or puzzled.
Let’s remember that it is good to talk. Let’s make sure that we share with someone how we are feeling today.
Thank you for giving us feelings.
Please help us to care for those who feel sad today.
Please help us to be friends with people who are lonely.
Please help us to bring peace when people are angry.
Please help us to share joy and laughter.
‘The prayer of St Francis (Make me a channel of your peace)’, available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihhvm6eLWZI (2.51 minutes long)
- Why not have a go at making fingerprint faces? Use some paint to make fingerprints and then decorate them to show lots of different feelings. An example is available at: https://www.freekidscrafts.com/make-fingerprint-faces/
- Do you have any building bricks? If so, see what builds you can come up with to fill this feelings chart, available at: http://learnhappy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/lego-emotions-building-chart.pdf