Pause for Thought: How Important Are Our Friends?
The value of friendship
by Jan Edmunds (video recording by Verity Thornhill)
Suitable for Whole School (Pri)
To consider the true value of friendship.
Preparation and materials
- You may like to have the word ‘FRIENDS’ written out for the children to see.
- You will need to have the means available to play the video below. It is 2.16 minutes long.
- Optional: you will also need to have the means available to play the song at the end. It is 2.24 minutes long.
- Optional: for the ‘Extension activities’ section, you will need some plain paper, some coloured paper, a pencil and some colouring pencils or pens.
Time for reflection
Encourage the children to spend some time thinking about what they have just heard. Encourage them to talk about their friends and think of any ideas for keeping in touch at this time.
You may wish to close with the following prayer.
We thank you for our friends and for the happy times that we share with them.
Help us to be a good friend to them.
During this time when we can’t play with our friends,
Please help us to find creative ways to keep in touch.
Thank you that you are our friend and will be with us always.
‘You’ve got a friend in me’ from the film Toy Story, available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMN4JZ8crVY (2.24 minutes long)
- Write the word ‘FRIENDS’ in bubble writing. Next, decorate the letters and draw pictures around the outside showing some of the activities that you enjoy doing with your friends. You could also include the names of some of your friends if you like.
- Make a friendship flower. An example is available at: https://tinyurl.com/sb4ur3n