Demonstrating various themes using the word end; close of the school year and summer holidays
by The Revd Catherine Williams
Suitable for Whole School (Pri)
To demonstrate various themes using the word 'end', enabling children to explore the close of the school year and the approach of the summer holidays.
Preparation and materials
- Write the word 'END' on a large piece of card - fluorescent if possible.
- Have available a number of other letters and letter sequences on pieces of differently coloured card. As a minimum you should have the appropriate letters to make the following words using the 'END' card: Mend, Spend, Ascend, Friend, Splendid.
- Choose the song - the children's favourite.
- Ask the children how many days are left until the summer holidays. Say that the school is rapidly approaching the 'end' of the school year.
- Ask for a volunteer to hold the word 'END'.
Choose some children to sort through the other letters to see if they can make other words. Develop this into interactive teaching about finishing the year, moving up a class, or leaving, and the summer holidays, e.g.
Mend. Sometimes it's important to mend some things before we finish. We might need to mend some friendships which are broken, by saying sorry and forgiving each other.
Spend. How are we going to spend the holidays? How can we plan our time so that we don't just watch TV all day? How can we make sure we stay safe when we're not at school?
Ascend. Next September we will all have moved up a class, and Year 6 will have 'ascended' - gone up into secondary school. It's an exciting time, and a sad time too.
Friend. We all have good friends here at school. Sometimes we don't get to see them over the summer, which can be difficult. How can we keep in contact with each other?
Various other words are possible (recommend, depend, send), and some should probably be avoided, e.g. offend!
Complete the list with a celebration word, e.g.
Splendid. Wish everyone a 'splendid' holiday, or suggest they have a 'splendid' party to complete the year. Celebrate some 'splendid' achievements.
Time for reflection
Ask the children to suggest the best moments in this school year. Spend some time in silence thanking God for those times.
Thank you for our school, and the year which is coming to an end.
Bless our families and homes during the holidays,
and bring us all safely to a new term.
The children's favourite song. You could have a poll in preceding assemblies to choose this - or it might be obvious!