Playing Our Parts
We are all different, but we are all important
by Hilary Karen
Suitable for Whole School (Pri)
To consider the role we play in contributing to the world.
Preparation and materials
Have available the YouTube video, ‘Earth Animation 3D’ (available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDwRI4LH4_I) and the means to show it at the start of the assembly. It is 4:33 minutes long.
You will also need the following images:
- herb garden, available at: http://tinyurl.com/jnvehsh
- marigolds growing among vegetables, available at: http://tinyurl.com/z2xk6lz
- flowers growing together, available at: http://tinyurl.com/jouxsnp
Show the YouTube video, ‘Earth Animation 3D’.
Share the following facts with the children.
- There are approximately 7.3 billion people in the world. (Point out that there are some places around the world where births are not registered, so it is impossible to know the exact number.)
- There are 196 countries in the world today. (Point out that sometimes this changes when areas of the world are reorganized.)
- There are about 6,500 languages spoken around the world today.
Show the children the images of gardens and flowers.
- Herb garden: explain that herbs have different functions. They can be good for our bodies; they add flavour to create tasty dishes; and they grow together to create beautiful gardens.
- Marigolds growing among vegetables: explain that insects do not like the smell of marigolds, so planting marigolds among vegetables keeps the insects away. This enables the vegetables to grow rather than being destroyed by insects.
- Flowers growing together: explain that many varieties of flowers combine to make a beautiful garden. They are all flowers, but they are also all different.
Explain to the children that every plant is special and contributes to the world. Plants provide us with food and oxygen. They are used for medicine to heal us when we are sick. In addition, though, plants bring beauty to the world. This is also true for people in the world. We are all different, but we all have a contribution to make to the world. Together, we make the world a more beautiful and special place.
Time for reflection
You may wish to replay the YouTube video, ‘Earth Animation 3D’, during the reflection time.
Think about the vastness of the world. Think about people living all over the world in different situations and different climates. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if everybody contributed to the world in a positive way?
Think about your school. Think about your friends and the place where you live. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if everybody contributed to these places in a positive way?
Help us to join together in love for people all around the world.
Help us to learn about each other and to grow in respect.
Help us to enjoy our similarities and differences.
Help us to become friends in the world you created for us all.
‘All you need is love’ by The Beatles (Check copyright)